Organization and information about places to visit or hiking on the fields of battle of Montecassino. Find out more
Caserta, which arose following the reconstruction of the Reggia in 1725, commissioned by King Carlo Borbone, is north of Naples. The city stretches on the edge of Campania felix = lucky, so named because it is a very fertile plain. The royal palace, built by Vanvitelli, was the favorite stay of the sovereigns until 1859. The austerity of the exterior of the Palace is combined with the refinement of the interior. The project extends over five floors of rectangular shape including four large courtyards with 1200 rooms.
Inside the Palace, you can admire the Palatine Chapel, inspired by the Versailles Castle and the great halls of the guards, of the halberdiers and of Alexander the Great. However, the real museum is represented by the two royal apartments, with sumptuous and luxurious furnishings and decorations in rococo and neoclassical style. The park behind the Royal Palace of Caserta is a succession of tree-lined avenues, pools, waterfalls and staircases, in addition to the famous 4 fountains that symbolize the 4 elements of nature.
Connections: A1 Cassino-Caserta car 40 minutes
Train FS Cassino-Caserta 50 minutes
Bus or hotel shuttle (on request) 50 minutes.